Dilute Bleach Baths for EczemaMay 18, 2009
Bacteria on the skin may make eczema worse and lead to infection. This simple formula makes for an anti‐bacterial bath that is even gentler than a swimming pool and usually does not sting even when there is some open skin.
1. Fill a bathtub with warm (not hot!) water (about 40 gallons).
2. Pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup of common liquid bleach into the water.
3. Completely mix the added bleach in the water.
4. Soak in the chlorinated water for about 10 minutes.
5. Rinse the skin well with warm, fresh water at the end of each bath. You may use a gentle cleanser as well.
6. Gently pat the skin dry.
7. Apply the prescription creams or ointments or the moisturizer as directed while the skin is moist.
8. Repeat bleach baths 3 to 5 times per week or as prescribed by your doctor.